Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Day Nineteen

So, I was pretty upset Saturday morning when I woke up after having a beer Friday night feeling grain-hungover instead of the usual alcohol hungover I used to get. I'm sorry, but my husband homebrews beer, so I need to be able to drink the occasional beer without being miserable. And then I celebrated on Sunday working my last library shift at another branch (the only one close to a Dairy Queen) by having an Oreo Blizzard and regretting that just an hour later. Sad times!

I had a couple of really great library experiences last weekend that have really confirmed my decision to get my Masters and pursue a career in the public library. On Saturday, I worked all day at my usual branch, and had a little girl give me an apple for "helping her take books home." And then on Sunday, at the other branch, I had a kid who got his first library card ever and his grandmother took a picture of us together, him grinning ear to ear. This. This is why I do what I do.

Sunday for lunch we had lime butternut squash soup, and it was TO DIE FOR. Super-easy too, and I thought it would take a lot longer than it did. I roasted cubed butternut squash in the oven for about an hour at 400 degrees, then pureed it in my food processor, added 4 tablespoons of clarified butter, the zest from one lime, the juice from two limes, and 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt, while keeping the food processor on high. I'm still eating that recipe now, and I had it for dinner yesterday with some pecans added in, and I'll have the last of it today.

I really need to get better at taking pictures of the foods as I prepare them and then the finished product, but here's the recipe, and there's a gorgeous picture of the soup on a much more lovely place setting than I bother with.

Nothing else terribly exciting foodwise, since I was so tired on Saturday after working at the library that I took an hour and a half nap in the bathtub (oops!) and then dragged myself to SaladWorks for my standard "create your own": field greens, chicken, pecans, cranberries, lemon capri dressing.

I really need to go grocery shopping, especially since I'm having surgery on my knee (FINALLY!) next Tuesday and will need to prep a few meals ahead of time so Adam doesn't have to worry about making them Paleo. Adam did find some Paleo bread for me yesterday, one made with almond flour and another made with coconut flour, so I'll be tracking down some of that to make last-minute meals easier.

Also: crazy things tempting me lately:

 
Why yes, that is the ridiculously organized candy drawer that is behind my desk. Why yes, most of it isn't for public consumption (just that tiny container of Twix and Snickers, etc.). Why yes, my co-worker did buy the enormous bag of Caramel Cremes because she knows I love them.

 
They have these downstairs at Walgreens right next to the dark chocolate that I do allow myself to buy... evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment