Monday, April 1, 2013

Month One is in the Books!

Today marks the one month anniversary of my Paleo journey. I had a weekend full of slip-ups, thanks to post-surgery "my give a damn's busted," and I'm feeling it! I had limoncello white chocolate cake, a Moe's burrito, caramel cremes, and ice cream.

The surgery was a success. Instead of being a torn lateral meniscus like every medical professional except for the radiologist thought, a piece of cartilage had detached from my patella and was floating around. The surgeon removed that and repaired the surface of the joint arthroscopically, and the first couple of days after surgery I was wondering what all the fuss was about. My pain was practically nonexistent and the swelling was minimal.

Then Day Three hit. I woke up at 5 a.m., hit Adam awake and said, "IT HURTS NOW! PAIN MEDS! ICE PACK!" Nothing could touch the amount of pain I was in, but thankfully the pain medication I was prescribed caused "drowsiness," which translated into sleeping through a good 80% of Thursday-Sunday. Great way to celebrate Holy Week, right?

(P.S. Dry shampoo isn't all it's cracked up to be.)

My pain is still fairly high on the subjective scale of 1-10, especially when I'm stupid and make trips down to the dryer in the basement (you expected me to wear wrinkled clothes on my first day back to the office?) and stand long enough to dry and straighten my hair (and you expected me to have wrinkled hair on my first day back?).

We have had some delicious Paleo meals in my recovery, including continual snacking on the 9 1/2 pound ham I baked before surgery, roasted zucchini, a delicious citrus and rustic herb chicken dish that Adam came up with last night, and a bison cocoa butternut squash stew that Adam made in the Crock-Pot.

I have played with the 3 minute mug cake from Delighted Momma, adding almond butter and chocolate chips to make it a bit more moist and brownie-like. It doesn't really look any different than the original, so I didn't take a picture of it, but I enjoyed it a lot more!

I did find a recipe for Paleo chocolate ice cream and avocado burgers last night, so as soon as I'm up to grocery shopping, those are both happening! How amazing does this look?!



 
Also, I didn't weigh in on Wednesday because I was still gingerly putting weight on my right leg, but I did weigh in on Saturday and lost 4 pounds since the Wednesday before! We'll have to wait and see how much of that is because I slept through meals, but I figure some of it will stay off, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment